The question tag for I am is aren’t I, not amn’t I.
I am late, aren’t I? (NOT I am late, amn’t I?)
The question tag for imperative sentences are will you/ won’t you/ can you / can’t you/ would you / could you.
- Come here, will you?
- Open the windows, would you?
- Keep quiet, can’t you?
- Shut up, won’t you?
The question tag for a negative imperative is “will you?”
After let’s… we use shall we?
e.g. Let’s go for a walk, shall we?
Sentences containing negative words like hardly (=almost not), never, no, nobody and little are followed by non-negative tags.
- You never call me, do you? (NOT …don’t you?)
- He is no good, is he? (NOT …isn’t he?)
- I have hardly ever met her, have I?
In question tags referring to “nothing” and “everything”, we use “it”.
- Everything is ok, isn’t it? (NOT …isn’t everything?)
- Nothing can happen, can it? (NOT …can nothing?)
In question tags referring to “nobody, somebody, everybody etc.”, we use “they”.
- Nobody came, did they? (NOT …did nobody?)
- Somebody wanted a drink, didn’t they?
After principal verb have, question tags with have and do are often both possible. Note that do is more common in American English.
- They have a farm house, haven’t / don’t they?
- He had a bad headache, hadn’t/didn’t he?
Exercise 1: Add suitable tags.
- You have never seen a snake, ________________?
- You didn’t see my keys, _____________?
- Help me with the washing-up, ________________?
- Nobody wants to be lonely, _____________?
- Everything is ready for the biggest event, ________ .
- Let’s start a new game, _____________?
- Don’t bother your sister, ______________?
- She ate all the cakes, _____________?
Exercise 2. Add suitable tags.
1. Everybody's gone home, _______________ ?
2. Nobody here speaks French, _______________ ?
3. Nobody phoned, ______________ ?
4. We never drink coffee, _______________ ?
5. That's no excuse, _______________ ?
6. Let's go for a walk, _______________ ?
7. Nothing ever changes, _______________ ?
8. I hardly smoke anymore, _______________ ?
Exercise 3. Add suitable tags:
1. Nobody saw us, _______________ ?
2. Sean never goes to bed until really late, _______________ ?
3. Let's go to Mexico this summer, ____________?
4. The sun hardly shone all summer, _______________ ?
5. Somebody called me , _______________ ?
6. It's never too late , _______________ ?
7. There's no homework, _______________ ?
8. Everybody enjoyed the party, _____________?
Exercise 4. Add suitable tags:
1. That's the best solution, _______________ ?
2. Nobody failed the exam, _______________ ?
3. Everybody's coming to the wedding, ______________ ?
4. Let's meet at the Irish pub, _______________ ?
5. We never see that actor any more, _______________ ?
6. He hardly said a word, _______________ ?
7. Somebody set the building on fire deliberately, _______________ ?
8. Don't forget to do your homework, _______________ ?
Exercise 5. Add suitable tags:
1. It's hardly surprising, _______________ ?
2. There's nothing anyone can do, ___________?
3. Somebody must have Tom's phone number, ______________ ?
4. There's no pizza left, _______________ ?
5. Don't let him boss you about, _____________ ?
6. Let's be serious for a moment, _____________ ?
7. Everyone has heard of 'phrasal verbs', ___________?
8. Nobody was flirting with my boyfriend, _____________?
Exercise 6: Add suitable tags:
- But you don't really love her, _______________?
- This will work, _______________?
- Oh you think so, _______________?
- Well, I couldn't help it, _______________?
- But you'll tell me if she calls, _______________?
- We'd never have known, _______________?
- Oh you do, ____________?
- The weather's bad, _______________?
- You won't be late, _______________?
- Nobody knows, _______________?
- You never come on time, _______________?
- You couldn't help me, _______________?
- You think you're clever, _______________?
- So you don't think I can do it, _______________? (British English)
- Shut up, _______________!
- She can hardly love him after all that, _______________?
- Nothing will happen, _______________?
- He’d better do it, _______________?